Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Knowing when to stop!

Today a met with a couple of sketching students to sketch at the Panama Hotel Tea and Coffee House.
I got there early so I started a sketch of the storefront entry from inside the space.  I was able to add color to it while students were working on their own sketches.  I got to a point where I was happy with it but then decided to add more color to the background walls.  I should have stopped before "adding"...sometimes it is better to call it a day  and then look at it 24 hours later to see if you really need to add anything.  Adding the background took away focus to the sketch.  What I had to do is add value to other areas to make it read again.  It turned out okay but I should have stopped earlier and reassessed it the next day!


2 comments:

  1. I love this! You may have had something else in mind to start with, but this turned out great. I especially like the contrast and balance of painted and unpainted areas. Your composition pulls me right in, where I want to sit down in that comfy chair and have a coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele for the comment. I had the entry and wicker chair and side displays done. But then I added the ceiling and walls and it muddied up the sketch so I had to add more value to the trims to define the forms in front ot the walls.

      Delete