Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Sketching At Olympic Sculpture Park with WSU students


Saturday we had an adhoc sketch outing with WSU Interior design students and Faculty Bob Krikac, Kathleen Ryan, and Linda Johnson. About 40+ students, their instructors  and a handful of Seattle Urban Sketchers dotted the Park.  I walked around for about a half an hour trying to find a place I haven't sketched.  I found this spot near the Claes Oldenburg Typewriter Eraser.  A view through the trees.  I was intrigued by the peek-a-boo view of the sculpture and the trail beyond.

It is interesting to see how technology has changed what we understand and know.  When bringing my sketching class here this summer, one student said they didn't want to sketch the weird wheel.  I was wondering what they meant.  I realized later that they  didn't know that this object was a typewriter eraser.  Of course!  These students have never used a typewriter, they grew up using a computer!  Well I remember using this type of eraser....shows my age.   

No comments:

Post a Comment