Sunday, July 10, 2016

Reducing Your Sketching Gear


Getting ready for the  Urban Sketchers Symposium in Manchester,  my goal is to try to travel light and reduce the amount of sketching gear I take.  Everything I need for sketching now fits in my purse.

I purchased the Pocket Art Toolkit by Expeditionary Art.com .
The business card holder sized palettes fit in the kit. I have 28 colors in the wells and 3 pocket palettes.  It takes some getting use to working with  the smaller sized palette but I think I can get use to it.  All my travel brushes fit in a side pocket under the pens.  I added velcro strips to secure the side pocket and keep the brushes from coming out.


Today was the test day.  The pocket palettes surprisingly carry quite a bit of paint.  I will have to add more to it as the paint sinks into the palette leaving room in each well for more paint as it dries.

I am always nervous trying out something new like this.  It sometimes throws me off using a new palette.  With my old larger palette I know exactly where each color is.

Georgetown Garden Walk Garden No. 40 2016

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing but what is the board your paper, palettes are on ? Also, how do the two water containers stay attached ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molon, the paint containers just clip on it is on a folded piece of metal and attaches. One thing is that if you tip the board you can spill water on your painting which I did by accident. I may decide not to use those wells.

      Delete
    2. I forgot to mention that the white board is coroplast about an 1/8" thick. It is a plastic sign board that you can get from sign makers or pick up at a hardware store like Home Depot. That is where I picked mine up for about $3.95. I just cut it to the size I wanted.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Gail.Your reply to Elaine answers what would have been my next question ... as to where you got them . However quite see your point re the water potentially tipping out. Think I'll pass on that for the moment.

      Delete
    4. Thanks for the info . Appreciate it.

      Delete
  2. Those cups do intrigue me, as I've never seen clip on cups like that. Where did you find them? Are they now part of the Pocket Art Toolkit? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elaine,
      I just picked those up from the Daniel Smith Store in Seattle. I am sure you can find them online. I will take a better picture of my gear later this week and show how everything fits in my purse and where the brushes are etc.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much, Gail! I sure wish I could just to the Daniel Smith store!

      Delete
  3. Gail...I like those little pocket palettes too! I set old medicine bottles of water in my clip-on cup...that works better for me than pouring water into the cups. Might be worth a try. I recently added some new photos of my sketching kit on Flickr if anyone would like to take a look. https://www.flickr.com/photos/dboddiford/albums/72157632500783646

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debo, Thanks for sharing that. I might try that. It will have taller walls. Hope all is well, are you going to Manchester?
      Gail

      Delete
    2. I've found that taller/thinner water pots are less likely to slosh out vs. shorter/broader water pots.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your setup, Gail! I'm thinking of eventually switching all of my brushes to travel brushes to lighten my load, so this is helpful to see.
    Also: I found by sheer chance that small cream case from Muji (http://www.muji.us/store/travel/packing/cream-case-20g.html) fits clip-on cup precisely (It is a super-tight fit, so it won't fall out but on the other hand it's hard to pop it off for cleaning) Or reuse medicine bottles like Debo suggests :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shiho. That is a good option. I will have to check it out.
      Gail

      Delete
  5. I liked your blog. Beautiful picture Gail, You are a perfect artist. Your sketching skills are too good. Thanks for sharing your art with us. Keep sketching and posting them. Good Luck!

    Shuttle to Airport Seattle

    ReplyDelete